Cook’s Job Description for Powell House
Cook: Job Summary
We pride ourselves on the culinary creations served from our kitchens, and are looking for an experienced and passionate Cook to help support the Elsie K. Powell House Retreat and Conference Center. The ideal candidate for this position
- has previous experience working in preparing quantity foods,
- enjoys working in a busy environment, and
- is capable of taking direction well and multi-tasking effectively.
If you have food preparation industry experience, and a passion for food prep and strong customer service skills, please submit an application to us today.
This part time position involves working primarily over weekends; beginning Friday evening through Sunday until 2:00 p.m., during our regular retreat schedule, up to 2 or 3 times a month. Room and board during the weekends may be provided as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
* In consultation with food service manager, assist in planning of menus including accommodating of special dietary needs.
*Preparing and organizing menu items for consumption according to the schedule.
* supervise volunteer set up folks, dishwashers and other kitchen volunteers.
* Ensure proper storage and disposal of food and that the kitchen, food storage and dish washing areas. and the equipment in them are clean and in good condition after each meal.
*Maintain a positive, friendly demeanor when relating to guests.
*Work independently to complete designated tasks.
* Work with food service manager to ensure attractive and appetizing presentation of food.
* Help maintain inventory by informing food service manager of needs and/or desires.
* Support the community formed for each retreat or conference.
Appearance of all workers should be clean and neat, with closed toed, non-slip soled shoes essential.
Qualifications and Skills
*High school diploma/GED required
*2 years’ experience in restaurant/institutional cooking industry
*Able to read and follow standard recipes
*Strong knowledge of proper food handling procedures
*Able to work both independently and as part of a team in a busy kitchen atmosphere
*ServeSafe certification preferred
*Familiarity with Quaker faith and practice preferred