Butler Duties & Responsibilities
Thank you for agreeing to be a Butler. Being a Butler helps Powell House better afford to operate with a small staff while it allows you to earn a credit worth $90 toward your conference. The following will give you an idea of what the Butler’s job entails.
The Butler's job will allow you to attend the conference, but you are expected to report to the kitchen 30 minutes before the meals begin and to remain until the cleanup and resetting are complete. PLEASE NOTE: You will be needed at 6:15 PM on Friday. If you cannot arrive this early, let us know so we can fill in.
SCHEDULE OF BUTLER’S WORKTIME
Breakfast:(Sat. & Sun.) 7:30-9:00 (mealtime 8 am)
Lunch: (Sat. & Sun.) 12:00-1:30 (mealtime 12:30)
Dinner: (Fri.) 6:15-8:00 (mealtime 7 pm)
(Sat.) 5:30-7:00 (mealtime 6 pm)
Snacks: (Fri. & Sat.) 9:50-10:30 pm
These are the normal times the Butler works. Additional time may be requested by the Cook or Host if needed.
BEFORE THE MEAL
Check in with the Cook so s/he knows you are here and s/he will let you know if there are ways you can help in addition to the regular tasks below.
- Check that the settings match the meal (Bowls, plates, etc.)
- See that the correct number of places is set. Check with Host.
- If meal is buffet style, dishes go onto the buffet table, silverware and cups go onto the placemats.
- Make sure that cloth napkins, sugar and sweetener, salt and peppers are full and set out on each table.
Pantry: Check that the dishwasher is unloaded, turned on, and ready to use.
- Make coffee: regular and decaf. Directions are taped to coffee maker. Put coffee in pump carafes on sideboard. Fill water, juice and/or milk pitchers. Make juice if needed.
- Put out butter on each table if needed. Use butter plates & knives.
- For breakfast, set out cereals, granola, and yogurt on serving table.
- Fill silverware tray with hot water and set it in the dish window.
- Put out compost bowl and rubber scraper in the dish window.
- Make sure the waste can for trash is empty and ready for use on the floor outside the dish window.
DURING THE MEAL
- Refill beverages and food if necessary and available.
- Help serve dessert as people are finishing their meal.
AFTER THE MEAL
- Direct clearers to get leftover food to kitchen counter.
- Get the clearers and servers in motion.
- Instruct dishwashers in procedure for washing dishes.
- Try to anticipate needs of resetters and have dishwashers prioritize their work accordingly.
- Gently remind guests who are dallying that we need to clear the tables so that the kitchen crew can finish their jobs.
- Oversee cleaning and wiping of tables.
- Oversee resetting of tables for the next meal. Check with the host for the required place settings and expected number.
- Make sure that the dishwashing area is cleaned up, counters wiped, floor dried and towels hung to dry.
- Empty garbage, recyclables, and compost as needed. (Usually after lunch.)
- Set out whatever snack the Cook has instructed.
- Clean up and put leftovers away after folks are done.
YOUR GENERAL TONE SHOULD BE AS ONE MEMBER OF A COOPERATIVE CREW, NOT A BOSS.
THE BUTLER, MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, MAINTAINS A HARMONY BETWEEN KITCHEN AND DINING ROOM.